The Harvester Midge is sometimes called a Rusty Midge. It is Russ Doughty’s favorite. At our MTFA meet, he claimed to catch over 100 trout in a single day on this fly. He uses as a gun metal or black tungsten bead for overcast days and on a sunny day, changes the bead to copper. He ties the fly like he is tying it on a size 18 hook but uses hook size 14.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC2499SP-BL or TMC2487
- Hook Size: 14, 16, 18, 20
- Head: Tungsten or Brass Bead, 14 – 3.2mm, 16 – 2.8mm, 18 – 2.4mm, 20 – 2.0mm
- Thread: UNI-Thread Rusty Brown 8/0
- Ribbing: Small Black wire
Fishing instruction: Dead drift with a strike indicator. Also can be used as a dropper off another hook.