One of a popular fly used in the Ozarks is the Elk Hair Caddis (Lt). This fly is a little different because the hackle has been left off. This variation will work well. When I first started tying this fly, I did not use the Yearly Elk Fur and did have some issues. Since then I purchase Yearling Elk Hair from Spirit River Inc, pictures below.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC200R, or TMC101
- Hook Size: 12, 14, 16
- Body: Tan Embroidery Floss
- Thread: UNI-Thread 8/0, Cream or Tan
- Tip (Tag): Ultra 70 or UNI-Thread 8/0, Fl. Pink
- Wings/Head: Yearling Elk Hair – Natural, (Bleached for Lt)
Fishing Instructions: Dead Drift