Look at the two flies above, one I used Pearl Chenille small – Root Beer and the other I used Peacock Herl. Hard to see the difference. I used a Tiemco TMC403BLJ. This is a barbless jig hook with a wide gap. This Short (Fat) bugger will travel across the bottom with the hook up. This will eliminate the hook getting caught on the bottom. I also have listed the materials in the order that they are tied on. Fly tied by Dennis Stead – size 10.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC403BLJ
- Hook Size: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
- Head: Brass Bead or Tungsten, Gold or Black Nickel
- Weight: If Brass Bead is used, add lead wire
- Thread: UTC-Thread 8/0 or 6/0
- Tail: Marabou (optional – Grizzle tip for tiger tail)
- Hackle: Color to match bugger color
- Body: Pearl Chenille small, Root Beer or Peacock Herl
- Hot Core: Madeira Prism White, White Antron
Fishing instructions: Fish by letting fly sit on bottom then move it a little and let it sit again.