Everyone has a favorite Wooly Bugger pattern, and I am no acceptation. In LaFontaine Originals Volume 7, I like the one Gretchen Beatty ties. It has a hot core of white Antron, but I substitute Madeira Prism White and add lead weight when using a brass bead. Because of the way the Peacock Herl, Madeira and thread are tied, it makes this fly a roughed one. Fly tied by Dennis Stead – size 10.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC5263 or Streamer hook
- Hook Size: 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
- Head: Brass Bead or Tungsten, Gold or Black Nickel
- Weight: If Brass Bead is used, add lead wire
- Thread: UTC-Thread 8/0 or 6/0
- Tail: Marabou (optional – Grizzle tip for tiger tail)
- Body: Peacock Herl
- Hot Core: Madeira Prism White, White Antron
After tying down the peacock and Madeira, put in a half hitch or whip finish before rotating the vise.
Use a material clip to hold down the peacock and Madeira so that you can unwind the thread to tie off the peacock and Madeira. After tying off, put in a whip finish and then rib your tying thread as you bring it forward.
Fishing Instructions: Fish on a sinking leader or line and strip.