The Patuxent Special was first tied in 1979 by Jay Sheppard. He fished the Patuxent River which was not far from his home in the western part of Maryland. He has tied this in different colors but this color was the top producer. Charles Stewart, an MTFA member introduced me to this fly and it was one of his favorite. At our Chili feed in Branson this year (2016) it was the only fly for me and a couple of other members that caught fish that day.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC5263 or TMC200R
- Hook Size: 8, 10, 12
- Head: Gold Brass Bead, 8-4.0mm, 10 0r 12 3.2mm
- Thread: UNI-Thread 8/0 or 6/0, Tan or Black
- Body: Lead wire .025 or .030, Golden-Ginger Medium Chenille (note: the lead wire is not optional)
- Tail: Fox Squirrel (make sure you have black showing)
- Hackle: Ginger, or Golden Ginger, or Light Brown
Fishing Instructions: Fish on a sinking line or sinking leader. Cast across the stream and let it drift down and across. Then Strip Back. If a floating line is used, you might have to add split shot 12 to 15 inches above the fly.