One of a popular fly used in the Ozarks is the Elk Hair Caddis. When I first started tying this fly, I did not use the Yearly Elk Fur and did have some issues. Since then I purchase Yearling Elk Hair from Spirit River Inc, pictures below. Note – the hackle on the top of the fly can be trimmed before the Elk Hair is added.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC200R, or TMC101
- Hook Size: 12, 14, 16
- Body: Tan Embroidery Floss
- Thread: UNI-Thread 8/0, Cream or Tan
- Tip (Tag): Ultra 70 or UNI-Thread 8/0, Fl. Pink
- Hackle: Brown-Natural, (White-Bleached)
- Wings/Head: Yearling Elk Hair – Natural, (Bleached for Lt)
Fishing Instructions: Dead Drift. Sam Stewart likes to strip back when the fly breaks through the surface and starts to sink a little.