This is Dan Ditzler’s Mylar Jelly Belly. I know that he uses this fly for white bass but it should be a great fly for any fish. I had a little problem when tying this fly with the mylar belly. Sometimes it looked like Dan’s and other times it did not. So I used some Metallic Cord and built up the body before the Mylar was added. See below. It changed the look a little and I guess I will refer to it as Dan’s Mylar Jelly Belly Variant.
- Hook: Tiemco TMC5263 or TMC200R
- Hook Size: 8, 10
- Head: Brass Bead – Black or Gun metal – 3.2mm, 4.0mm
- Tail: White Zonker (Rabbit) strip
- Thread: UNI-Thread 8/0 White and Red
- Body: Mylar tubing
- Optional: Weed Guard or Flashabou
- Debar Hook (Dan uses #80) and put on a Brass Bead (Dan uses1/8” or 3.2mm)
- Put down a white thread base on the hook to the barb
- Tie in a weed guard (optional)
- Cut approximately 3/16” of white zonker strip and tie it on the hook.
- Bring thread to the back of the zonker strip
- Tie in Flashabou (optional)
- Slide the Mylar over the bead and onto the shank of the hook, over the zonker to the thread
- Wrap a few turns on to the Mylar and whip finish, cut the thread
- Apply head cement to the thread (Dan uses hard as nails)
- At the bead, push the mylar back to form a belly and tie down with red thread.
- Bring the weed guard or guards forward and tie down with the red thread (optional)
- Build up the thread to almost the diameter of the bead.
- Whip finish
- Apply head cement (optional UV)
Fishing instructions: Use a sinking leader or line and strip back